Tuesday, February 15, 2011

I've had the time of my life...

Wow I can't believe it's time to leave Kigali. Maddie, Chris, Jabaris & I are sitting in the Kigali International airport waiting for our long flights home. We leave Jabaris in Brussels and he gets to boston via Frankfurt while Chris & Maddie continue with me to DC and then we part ways with them going to Boston and me going to Raleigh-Durham. But at least I have someone with me on my long flight this time! Chris, Maddie and Gio have now started referring to me as the "mystical unicorn" because everyone in Kigali stares at me with my blonde hair.
After packing the OR, 9 of us from the OR had the opportunity to go to Lake Kivu in Gyseni on the border of the Congo. It was absolutely AMAZING and we all enjoyed the chance to relax and enjoyed the scenery on the way to the Lake. Our driver took us to the border of the Congo and I have to say, those were not the friendliest faces.
While some of us were in Gyseni at the lake, Chris, Maddie, Jabaris and Igor went to Akagera National Park on safari where they saw tons of animals including the elusive elephant! I believe they're the first ones to see one! I would post pictures of both of our adventures but the internet in the airport is too slow and I'm out of patience! But I will post them when we get back!
Thanks for all of your support and prayers! It means a lot to all of us. Our trip means so much to the people of Rwanda. This was latest evidenced by the customs guy who saw my Team Heart shirt and thanked us for being for here and said we were doing great work here. And then asked when we were coming back and said he would be waiting on us! So wonderful to hear!

Samantha

No comments:

Post a Comment