Sunday, February 10, 2013

Getting to Know You: Part I


As one of the only non-medical members of Team Heart here in Rwanda this year, I can’t say I know much about the details of heart surgery.  I’m grateful that we have a whole group of really smart, thoughtful people who ARE experts on the subject and are anxious to share their stories—I promise to leave that part of Team Heart ‘s day-to-day in their expert hands. 

Before arriving in Rwanda, I wondered how I might find a way to really connect with Team Heart—and how our supporters, followers, friends, families, donors, and general Boston fans might do the same without the benefit of a medical background. It became clear pretty quickly that these patients are something special, and they all have a story. To me, that’s the hook.  These patients have names, faces, families, dreams, some amazing curiosity, and now, bright futures.  What does it look like when they start to feel safe again after the surgery? When they realize they’re not going to die, and they allow themselves to feel hopeful? When do they lower their guards? These patients have been given back their lives…what will those lives entail going forward? 

Over the last week, I have watched some of these stories unfold.  Some stories are in their infancy; some are second hand; some started with Team Heart at the beginning and are incredible to see today.  There is one gentleman who is currently in the step down unit at King Faisal. He was the first surgery of the 2013 trip, and he is just amazing.  This patient is older than most of the people we see, but at 39, he has a beautiful wife, a new baby, and a good job at the Ministry of Defense in Rwanda.  This past Monday, he had a successful single valve replacement operation, and just 2 or 3 days later, he was like a new person.  I first met him in the ICU recovery room after his surgery, and soon after that, I found myself looking forward to seeing him each day.  Many of the patients speak a minimal amount of English, and when they are weak and tired in the days after surgery, it’s hardly a surprise that they don’t feel like saying much in a secondary language.  This man, so soft-spoken and warm and smart, surprised me with his mastery of the language and seemed to go out of his way to engage us every day.  “Good Morning, Mackenzie” was the simple greeting that I looked forward to.

I could gush forever about his sweet personality, but it was one particular conversation with this man that will stay with me.  As I sat next to his bed chatting and sharing pictures one afternoon, he politely asked if he might ask me a “complex question.” He explained that, to him, Team Heart seemed like a military operation. He wanted to know how the whole thing worked, and I was struck by his thoughtful questions:  Team Heart is so organized, how did that happen? (The answer to that one was easy: Ceeya!). How do we pay for all the medical supplies? How do we get them here? Do we leave our families behind in the United States to come to Rwanda? Is that hard for us? How do we pay for the trip? How do we get so much done in so few days? How do we take time away from work for the trip? Are we working together with the government in Rwanda?  How will the program go on once we return home? Maybe I shouldn’t have been surprised by his questions, but I was.  These patients come to us in need of help, feeling quite vulnerable, and Team Heart heals them. That’s enough for anyone to try to process. But he had thought so much about the program beyond what he was seeing first hand, and I realized that he truly cared beyond the scope of his own experience.  It was a meaningful reminder that these surgeries change the lives of the patients, but they also change the doctors and nurses and team members who become part of that story; in the big picture, this project forges deeply strong bonds and connections among people—and even though we are the caregivers, the patients care for us too.



- Mackenzie 


No comments:

Post a Comment