Monday, February 11, 2013

A few thoughts from the Stepdown Ward...

In 2009, I came to Rwanda for the first time. I had previously done mission work as a nursing student in Kenya, but cardiac surgery and Rwanda were new to me. I was excited to learn about this beautiful country and to work with Team Heart as we changed the lives of several very sick Rwandans suffering from Rheumatic Heart Disease. Flash forward to 2013, and my 5th trip to Rwanda. I continue to be in awe of this country, it's landscape but more importantly the people. In the last five years, I have been fortunate to have provided nursing care to nearly 60 Rwandans ranging from 15 to 45 years old.  Their stories of struggle and illness preoperatively are profound and their recoveries after life saving cardiac surgery (specifically heart valve replacement/repair) is miraculous. Last Saturday, about 40 of our former patients travelled to Kigali for a reunion. Some travelled by bus for 8hours! Seeing these patients healthy and happy is overwhelming. I can remember how sick they were before surgery, and their daily progress in the Ward after surgery. Now, if not for the chest scar peeking out of the top of their shirts, you would not know how near death they all were at one time. They have returned to school, gone back to work, gotten married and some have even had babies. It is remarkable to see them all together, hugging and catching up. It is such a privilege to be here doing this work. This year I was fortunate enough to have my husband Justin join me for the first two weeks of our mission. He worked hard with the preoperative team, screening potential patients and helping prepare them for surgery. At the end of his two weeks, he was finally able to understand why I return to Rwanda year after year. Pictures don't do this experience justice. It is the best thing we as medical professionals and people can do. The 40 or so Team Heart volunteers are all such special people, donating their vacation time, money and time away from their families to be here for almost 3 weeks. Today is our last day of surgery, the step down ward is booming with 11 patients and 5 more expected to move over in the next two days. They are all amazing individuals, aging 16 to 45, from all different parts of the country, but now all bonded by this shared experience of heart surgery. I am already looking forward to seeing them all next year, a year post op with stories of renewed hopes and dreams.  Thanks for supporting Team Heart and following our story...

No comments:

Post a Comment