Tuesday, February 23, 2016

NP Julie in action...

I traveled to visit Redempta's family in her village near Kamonyi, located to the south of Kigali.  Our Team Heart patient and registered nurse Theo and his Uncle  accompanied me.  It was an incredibly beautiful drive.  The mountains and valleys so green.  We arrived and were immediately greeted by Demi's youngest brother Cosi and her Mama.  Her Mama looked wonderful, she was dressed in a traditional Rwandan dress with a matching head scarf.  

We  entered Demi's home and were met by her Papa, who was wearing a purple Braintree Youth soccer shirt (either my son Nolan's or Andrew's from a past year, sisters Laetitia, Rebecca and brother David.  All looked very well, smiling and happy!  We had a wonderful visit.  Papa asked to speak and with Theo as an interpreter, welcomed us to their home and went on to say how happy they were to see me and how appreciative that I was caring for Demi.  Papa continued by saying it was tradition to give me something to express their joy.  Pap went outside and came back into the room with a chicken!  The chicken was placed in my lap and my arms placed around him to hold him in my lap.  If only someone from Team Heart could have seen me!!  I was trying to hold on so tight, his legs were moving, his body was rested up against my left cheek.  I don't know how I managed to keep a hold of him...there are plenty of photos to share that I am certain will make you chuckle.  However it was not a laughing matter for Papa.  This was serious, almost ceremonial feel.  I explained that I was unable to keep the chicken, despite my pure happiness and gratitude, as I was staying in the hotel and working long hours at the hospitals.  I asked that he keep and take care of for me.  He was happy to do so.   Certainly a first for me!  Julie Carragher

No comments:

Post a Comment